About Us



Click here to read our Ontario Accessibility Customer Service Policy Statement


Our approach


Education and high profile patrols have gained us the respect of the residents we serve. It is our intention to provide superior care for lost, abandoned and injured dogs and cats. Reducing the number of animals that are invariably euthanized each year is our major goal.

The reason for companion animal overpopulation is that many people do not spay or neuter their dogs and cats, which then reproduce, creating enormous numbers of kittens and puppies. They are responsible for introducing more animals into a world that already has too many cats and dogs in need of good homes.

All dogs and cats suitable for adoption are put up for adoption and kept until such time as they find forever homes or are accepted into a rescue program. We work with over 15 dog rescue groups across the province!


Rescue Partners:


We are more than happy to work with any group interested in a cordial and productive relationship. Our primary partner is Small Things CATS who took and re-homes over 240 cats in 2014. We also work with S.A.I.N.T.S. for both cats and dogs, Pets Need Love Too, S.A.D. in Elliot Lake and the OSPCA locally. We regularly transfer dogs all across Ontario through members of the Province of Ontario's Breed Specific and All Breed Rescues Shelter volunteers coordinate organise these transfers with the Shelter assisting in transportation costs and logistics where possible. 

Province of Ontario Breed Specific and All Breed Rescue Directory 




We patrol the following list of Municipalities on a regular basis and respond to residents complaints during regular business hours.



For concerns regarding stray or nuisance dogs or cats in the communities of:

The Town of Espanola,
The Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers (Massey, Walford, Webwood),
The Town of Spanish,
The Township of Baldwin (McKerrow),
The Township of the North Shore
or stray or nuisance dogs, in the communities of:

The Town of Nairn-Hyman,
The Town of North Eastern Manitoulin and the Islands (Little Current & Sheguiandah)
Municipality of Killarney,
Municipality of Markstay-Warren,
Atikameksheng Anishnawbek (Whitefish Lake First Nation),
Wahnapitae First Nation,
Whitefish River First Nation (Birch Island),


705-673-3647 (DOGS) or 1-800-836-6661

If you have found a dog or cat in any of the Municipalities above that you cannot care for you can call to arrange to drop it off at the animal shelter or call to request a pick up.

If you need the animal picked up it is best if you call early in the day to make the arrangements. We ask that you take steps to confine the dog or cat until the animal control officer arrives, and that you immediately call the shelter in the event the owners claim the animal or the animal is no longer in your possession for whatever reason.

After Hours:

For concerns regarding injured stray dogs or cats, or situations where a dog or cat are a threat to public safety in the municipalities listed above;

Call: (705) 673-3647 (DOGS) or 1-800-836-6661 and press 5 for emergencies.

For all other emergencies call 9-1-1

Lost and found reports may be placed anytime: Click here to place a lost or found report

All complaints are computerized for future reference. The complaints are logged with useful information which is constantly being referred to by our officers and staff during the performance of their duties.
For stray or nuisance dogs and cats in other Municipalities

City of Greater Sudbury: 311 (705 671 2489) Shelter direct line 705-694-7387
St Charles; Animal Control: 705-665-5003 or 705-562-4843
French River; Animal Control: 705 898-2294
Central Manitoulin (Bidwell, Gore Bay, Tehkummah, Mindemoya): 705-859-2389
Parry Sound, Animal Control: 705 746-2413
For other municipalities consult the BLUE PAGES in your local telephone directory!

Unorganised townships

Concerns about stray dogs in unorganized areas may be addressed by the Ontario Provincial Police
Click here for the OPP's web site
1-888-310-1133 (TTY) 


Roaming Dogs or Cats


In any of the municipalities above no one is permitted to allow their dog and in some cases cat to roam free. Residents must keep their pets leashed and under control when ever venturing off their own property. Every Citizen has the right to report or confine a stray animal and have it impounded by Animal Control. The owner of any seized pet is liable for all fees associated with the impound.

Dog Or Cat Bites:


Please report all cases of animals biting or attacking persons or domestic animals. These calls are given priority. It is an offence under the Animal Control By-law to allow your pet to bite or attack a person or another animal. You may be charged, and a muzzle or leashing order may be issued.

If someone has been bitten by an animal it is important to have them consult a physician immediately and notify your local Health Unit:

The Sudbury & Manitoulin District Health Unit:  705-522-9200
The Algoma & District Health Unit: 705-356-2551 (Blind River)
Health Canada:  705-6714108 (For animals residing on First Nations Territories)

Any animal that has bitten or scratched a person is required to undergo a mandatory 10 day quarantine period to eliminate the possibility of rabies transmission.

Residents may surrender these pets for euthanasia at a fee of $120. + HST for dogs and $60. + HST for cats. In addition, residents may choose to use our quarantine facilities at a rate of $15. per day.

Click here to learn more about giving up an animal you own

Barking Dogs:


Barking dogs can cause a lot of aggravation for residents. We investigate all barking dog complaints where there are bylaws in place.  Please call our office for more information on the bylaws in place where you live.  The first step is a warning and thorough consultation with the problem pet owner in order for them to learn to change their habits. Fines of up to $5000 can be levied against persons who continue to allow or permit an animal to disturb the peace quiet and repose of any individual.

If you are having a problem with a neighbour's dog we would ask that you start taking a log (either on your own or on the sample form provided below) of the disturbances and make regular reports to our office. If you are ever required to appear in court you need to have an independent recollection of the occurrences and we must show that these occurrences are habitual and ongoing in order to secure a conviction.

Click here to download the Barking Dog Noise Log


Stoop and Scoop:


Make it a habit to pick up after your pet!

To protect citizens and other pets from disease and to keep our communities clean and beautiful, all pet owners are required to follow stoop and scoop practices, even on our own property! A big part of being a responsible pet owner is dealing with your pet's waste.

Failure to pick up after your pet (including on your own property) is an offence and could result in a fine of up to $5,000.

For cases of animal cruelty or neglect call: 310-SPCA


Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals; Sudbury & District Animal Centre
Collège Boréal, West Side of Building
21 Lasalle Boulevard
Sudbury ON P3A 6B1
Phone:(705) 566-9582
Fax:(705) 566-6625
Email: sudbury@ospca.on.ca 

Click here to go to the OSPCA site


Wildlife concerns, including bears and raccoons.


Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
(705) 564 - 7823
contact your local police force or dial 911
TO REPORT BEAR PROBLEMS: contact the Bear Reporting Line at:
1-866-514-BEAR (2327) (TTY) 705 945-7641

Or try:
Wild at Heart Wildlife Refuge Centre
95 White Road
Lively, ON, P3Y 1C3
Telephone: (705) 692-4478

Click Here to go to the Wild At Heart site


Interested in having an Animal Control Officer attend your community meeting or visit your school;

Click here to learn about our educational programs!



The Rainbow District Animal Shelter

Click here to learn more about our partner Small Things CATS

  The Rainbow District Animal Shelter              The Rainbow District Animal Shelter

Click here to find the Rainbow District Animal Shelter on Facebook!



Site Search

of these words